Russell Street is a unique school with its own special combination of features. The key features of our school are:
• We provide strong foundation learning in literacy and numeracy infusing elearning effectively.
• We strive to maintain an exciting and rewarding staff culture. This includes regular Board / Staff social events, staff bus tours to see other schools outside the region and staff retreats to name a few.
• We believe in providing intensive, well funded whole school professional development (or professional learning) programmes.
• The teaching of metacognitive strategies, an understanding of how the brain works and the use of advanced teaching techniques are supported and encouraged.
• Teachers and Support Staff are on a ‘first name’ basis with children.
• We have a strong buddy class system and classes also group together to form a Kete, or teaching team.
• Colourful, vigorous artwork decorates every wall reflecting current and recent topics of study.
• We encourage a fun family based atmosphere through a number of initiatives.
• Our roll meets it’s maximum of 330 each year, following several years of growth.
• We host a large number of clusters and visiting educators. We have mobile suites ‘pods’ of ibooks, ipod touches, ipads, ipadminis, stand-alone computers and a large number of peripheral technologies that support learning. All computers are working on a wireless network and are no older than four years.
• We led an ICT cluster from 2001 – 2003, an EHSAS cluster in years following and have just completed leading another local ICT cluster known as Te Apiti. In 2012 we took on a sports coach position, in a physical education initiative with Netball Manawatu.
• We have placements from Teacher Education programmes within the University. This includes hosting short-course students in the Graduate Training Programme for which we are a ‘base school’.
• We have an extensive support staff base within the school with each class having a teacher aide for a minimum of one hour a day. All teacher aides currently hold a Teacher Aides’ Certificate through Massey University or are working towards this qualification.
• We warmly welcome visitors to the school and enjoy the opportunity to show off the fabulous work of the children.
• Four digitally enhanced/laptop classes with a greater level of ICT infusion. • A wide range of special programmes that engage students and develop their leadership, including: a ‘green team’; Kapahaka; Film Production Team; School band; Soundworks Instrumental Programme; Jump Jam Club; Cool Schools’ Mediators; Seed To Table; Jen’s Music Academy; ebuddies …..to name but a few.
If you are interested in visiting the school please contact us.